Monday, August 22, 2011

Oriental Chicken Salad ~ Copycat

I have to admit, I use to be a huge fan of Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad.  A huge fan until I found a "copycat" recipe somewhere online years ago.  Since then, I've been making this version of the salad at home. And actually, I ordered it one time when we had gone out and...... I decided I liked my copycat version better.

So, I am sharing it with you!

Dressing Ingredients (FYI, I usually double or triple this ~ like I said, I love this salad and have been known to eat it many meals in a row) :


Whisk together ~ 


3 Tablespoons ~ honey
1 1/2 Tablespoon ~ rice vinegar
1/4 Cup ~ Mayo
1 teaspoon ~ grey poupon dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon ~ sesame oil



Salad Ingredients (FYI, I never measure these ingredients out, but here's what the directions say) :


Chicken ~ you need chicken. And, if you want to make it like Applebee's then you should use breaded chicken.  Me, if you remember this chicken recipe post, I had hubby grill me some plain chicken so I could make this salad up and have everything already ready.  See, thinking ahead :)


and you need (like I said, I don't measure this out, and now that I actually look at the measurements, I make way more than it calls for!) :




3 Cups ~ romaine lettuce
1 Cup ~ red cabbage
1 Cup ~ Napa cabbage
1/2 carrot ~ shredded
1 green onion ~ chopped




Toss all of the salad ingredients together then, 


1.  Spread Chow Mein noodles onto your plate 


2.  Top with the salad mixture and as many slivered almonds as you want


3.  Drizzle with the yummy dressing



4.  ENJOY!



And a  tip, because I'm nice like that, another good way to eat this up is in Wrap form.

Sprinkle a few chow mein noodles onto a wrap


Add the salad mixture, almonds and dressing.



Wrap up and EAT up! YUMMY!



5 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Looks good, I've never ordered it before!

sawicky99 said...

Oh. MY. GOODNESS! So...I took your blog with me to Target today and got all of the ingredients and made it for dinner...and made enough really to feed the whole neighborhood, my parents tomorrow and another lunch for myself...and it was to. Die. FOR! Thank you!!! You are so AWESOME!!!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

YUM! I have never tried this before, but it looks delicious. I have that same mixing bowl... don't you just love the rubber gripping bottom? Brilliant idea! :)

Natasha in Oz said...

I make a salad that is Asian in style but doesn't look anywhere as yummy as this. I cannot wait to try it! Yum!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

HALLELUJAHS BY HOLLY said...

Yum this was so good! Thanks so much for sharing! I linked to you today!

Thanks again! I will be making this for years to come!
Holly
http://hallelujahsbyholly.blogspot.com/2011/09/asian-chicken-saladapplebees-wannabe.html