Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Reading

It's summer and that means time to lay back, relax and read.

Right?

I don't know about you, but it seems I have a hard time getting through books in the summer. Between the kids being home all day, sports in the evenings and coming and going every weekend, my book list doesn't seem to shrink much ~ actually, I think it is always growing.

Amanda is having a party and I thought I would join in since I love to get wrapped up in a new worlds, new lives and experiences.

I read the newspaper.

On the Internet.

I read magazines ~ decor, fitness, cooking .... I've even been known to page through the kids' highlights magazine.

I read books, mostly fiction.  A few of my more recent favorites are:

The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

* This one is suppose to be Juvenile literature.
It's about a girl in Nazi Germany.
Not a light read, but I found it quite interesting. *


The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes
by Diane Chamberlain

* I read this one over the winter.  It was a interesting, quick, couldn't put down read.
However, I just finished another book by this author called, The lies we told and I didn't enjoy it near as much.*



The Last Song
by Nicholas Sparks

* I wasn't sure I would like this one and it took me a little bit to get into it, but I did end up enjoying it.  I was actually reading this one in the car on the way home from a trip to see family, and  lets just say I was at a point in the book in which the tears (umm, mine...) were flowing.  Hubby looked over at me a little surprised and said, "oh my gosh, are you ok?"  My reply, "It's just a really sad book."  Yep, he thinks I'm a bit nutty for crying at a book, oh well! *

and

I am currently reading:


Last Seen Leaving
by Kelly Braffet

* I'm not real far into it, but it seems ok so far.  As of now it isn't pulling me in and keeping me up to read it. But who knows, maybe it will eventually.*


Usually I get my books from the library, but I've been known to (on more than one occassion) grab a couple at Sams Club or garage sales.

And my list ({s} I have a few running lists in different spots).... keeps.on.growing.
Here are a couple I am waiting to read:


A Reliable Wife
by Robert Goolrick


All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
by Janelle Brown


The Guernsey literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


I don't know, I think that should keep me busy for a little while. ☺

Want to see what everyone else is reading? Check it out:

Photobucket

What are you reading these days?

8 comments:

Tillie said...

I read A Reliable Wife a few months ago..I did a small book review...in summation I loved it.

I am trying to find something to read right now...I will read around in the free kindle download books and find something that grabs me...

Jennifer said...

I cried when reading The Last Song...and all the other Nicholas Sparks books. LOVE his stuff! And my husband also thinks I am a little nuts for crying over a book :)
Stopping by from Amanda's party.

Stephanie said...

I often read on business trips during the plane ride. So, I have to be very careful in the books I choose so that I'm not crying in front of 100 strangers and arriving at meetings with streaked mascara.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Is it odd that I am drawn to the Janelle Brown book because of the ice cream on the cover? ;) Great list! Thanks so much for linking up...hope you have fun "mingling" at the party. :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

I haven't read any of those! Huh.

I just finished The Third Secret, it was very Angels and Demons.

And also, A Place Called Freedom, Ken Follett (who wrote my all time fave book Pillars of the Earth). I had to start it twice, but ended up really liking it.

And right now, I'm reading Middlesex about a child of Greek immigrants who turns out to be a hermaphrodite - weird, I know. I got it from my book exchange party last year.

Claire said...

Oooh, I can thoroughly recommend 'The Guernsey....' - a really good read!

Cxx

Karen and Gerard said...

I'm surprised "The Book Thief" is classed as juvenile. It's such a long novel! I tried to read it and got half way through but it just moved too slowly for me. My husband thought it was very good though.

Stopping by from "Dishing It" party--I didn't get there in time to link up but did a post anyway:
http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/07/dishing-it-party-summer-reads.html

Unknown said...

Apparently I am currently drawn to juvenile fiction. I just finished the 5 Percy Jackson books - the first one is a bit slow but each one gets better. I also read the Hobbit and am in the middle of the Fellowship of the Rings. I suppose most of my reading for my job is so technical that I am naturally drawn to kids stories in my free time. :-) I love reading in the summer!