Monday, March 15, 2010

Simple and Very cool Napkin Holders

I was wandering through Pottery Barn over the weekend and came across some cool jute napkin rings. I believe they were $40.00 for 6. I can't seem to find them on their website and I didn't have my camera with me.... which is ODD. So I can't show you a pic, but I went home and attempted to recreate them.

Basic supplies:
empty toilet paper rolls ~ you can make 4 one inch rings out of one roll
jute
hot glue


Ready for the easy peasy directions?

1. Cut your TP rolls into 1 inch sections


2. Cut a LOOOONG piece of jute ~ I didn't measure it out, just did trial and error, however if you run out before you come to the end, it is easy to just finish that piece and begin gluing on a new piece.

3. Begin by hot gluing your jute to the inside of your TP ring, then proceed to glue and wrap (I just used small amounts of glue to keep in all in place)


4. Make sure you end on the inside and glue in place

VOILA ~ a simple, cool looking napkin ring.


NOW.... you can embellish if you want.

I made it so all of my embellishments are removable.

Check them out:

A shell ~ For this, I glued the shell onto a piece of jute that was doubled, then tied it onto the finished napkin ring.




A burlap flower ~ I saw this tutorial over at That's so Cuegly ~ cute and EASY!  I probably would have used a different button, but this is what I had on hand.

To attach it, I just threaded some florist wire through another button and glued that to the back then attached it to the finished napkin ring.




A Satin Flower ~ I've made these before, and turned them into headbands for my girls.  You can check those out here.

To attach these, I once again used my florist wire and threaded a piece through the last layer of the satin, then attached.





And Plain ~




Well, which one do you like best?





Oh, and did I mention that I had all of the supplies at home already so the cost to make these was $0.00! ☺

And don't forget to be inspired here today:






19 comments:

Jessica said...

I have to make those! They turned out great.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

René said...

You were smart to think of embellishing them!! I have some ugly old rings that I should try this with.

Thanks for the note you left :)

Laura said...

These are so cute. I have been keeping a few toliet paper rolls to use for napkin rings...this is a great idea. I really love the stain flowers.

Feel free to stop by my blog and enter my jewelry giveaway!

avisiontoremember said...

I love that idea. I always save our tp and paper towel tubes. This is just one more great thing to do with them

I would love for you to come over and link up to check me out saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com. Hope to see you there :)

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Very cute idea...love the burlap flower! Blessings!

Lee said...

I love this. Bookmarking this one!

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

I really love these. I've been looking for cheap napkin rings and like the texture these have. Thanks for the project idea!

emily anderson said...

so cute wendy!! what a great idea!

Prairie Scraps said...

These are great! I may have my kids make these for the fair in recycling! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Anne said...

What a great idea. I'd do it, however I don't have a dining room or a dining table to eat at. I was vetoed and the dining room became the game room. lol

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

WOW! These are awesome! I am totally impressed. I would love if you shared these at Fun to Craft's Spring has Sprung Party.

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

Again, love these! Thanks for sharing at Spring has Sprung at Fun to Craft. Feel free to stop by the party again!

Debbie @ OtRD said...

They look amazing. I was a little worried when I saw the TP roll but they turned out great! Love the flowers too!!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

These are so cute! I love your idea! Thanks for stopping by my little blog :) Can't wait to look around yours some more :)

Kileen said...

Those are great! I think I will have to make some. :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

I like the shell one the best...now WAIT the burlap flower, the other flower! I love them all :)

AI tonight then Glee - it's like a dream come true!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love them!!! I think my favorite is the big flower! Thanks for linking up!!!

Jill said...

These are great! I think I'll have to try the shell one! I have a shoe box full of shells that I don't know what to do with!

paula said...

I didn't want to spend hours making these with the possibility of a guest squishing them and ruining them. So I had my husband cut 2 inch tubes for me out of plumming pipe (PVC) and I spray painted them gold, well they look amazing. Thank you for the inspiration.